Friday, October 30, 2009

Went to Business North West on Wednesday at what used to be called GMEX and has been renamed Manchester Central. There were a large number of businesses exhibiting but very few that fitted in with what I was looking for.

What was interesting though was that there were a range of free lectures that anyone could attend. I chose to go to "Google University" and attended a very interesting hour long talk about Google Analytics. I know that many people use Google Analytics and they say how useful a tool it is but I have never managed to get my head round it. I was amazed at how much detail you can find out and the number of tasks it carries out.

It sounded so simple and as soon as I got back to my computer I fired it up and was fired up myself to register with Google Analytics. I was really looking forward to finding out what it could tell me about my website, how I can improve traffic and most of all improve sales.

First step - register, well that bit went fine, not a problem. Then it said that I had to put a specific bit of code on every page of my website so that it could start to read it and then I presume do the analysing bit. Right, now this is where the problem starts because I have not the foggiest how to do that.
I did not create the site from code. It started life as an off the shelf website from EKM Powershop and has just had a redesign by one of the other "EKM ers". EKM are a great little community on the web. If you want a shop and do not know how to write a website from scratch then just visit EKM and take it from there - brilliant.

Now I am going to study the Google Analytics help pages to find out what to do and how to do it and I am also going to post a question on the EKM forum and hopefully someone can explain what I need to do.
If you are reading this and can explain will you please get in touch or write a comment.

The biggest question is why are some people so good at computer technology and others are not. I know that we all have different skills but some seem to have more than their fair share.

No comments:

Post a Comment